JOINT COMMUNIQUE ON THE OCCASION OF THE OFFICIAL VISIT TO UGANDA BY HIS EXCELLENCY PAUL KAGAME, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF RWANDA
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic of Uganda, His Excellency Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda, paid a one-day Official Visit to Uganda on March 25, 2018. His Excellency President Paul Kagame was accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Cooperation and East African Community and other Senior Government Officials.
2. The two Heads of State held Official Talks at State House, Entebbe in a cordial and friendly atmosphere on a wide range of bilateral, regional and international issues.
3. Their Excellencies noted the existing bonds of friendship and mutually beneficial cooperation between the two countries and reiterated their commitment to strengthen them further. In this regard, they reviewed cooperation particularly in the sectors of railway and air transport as well as electricity interconnection.
4. The two Heads of States observed that the Joint Permanent Commission (JPC) between the two countries provides a good mechanism for discussing matters of mutual interest and strengthening cooperation. They therefore directed their Ministers responsible for Foreign Affairs to convene the next JPC within three months.
5. His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni congratulated His Excellency President Paul Kagame, the Government and people of Rwanda on the successful hosting of the historic African Union Extra Ordinary Summit in Kigali on March 21, 2018 during which the Agreement establishing the African Continental Free Trade Area as well as the Protocol on Free Movement of Persons were signed.
6. The two Heads of State reiterated their commitment to the economic integration of Africa, accelerating industrialization, development of regional and continental infrastructure to improve the livelihoods of the peoples of Africa. His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni commended His Excellency President Paul Kagame, in his capacity as current Chair of the African Union, for his leadership.
7. His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni expressed his appreciation to His Excellency President Paul Kagame for honouring his invitation and for the fruitful discussions they held. His Excellency President Paul Kagame, on his part, expressed his appreciation to His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the Government and people of the Republic of Uganda for the warm reception and hospitality accorded to him and his delegation during the visit.
8. His Excellency President Paul Kagame extended an invitation to His Excellency President Yoweri Museveni to pay a State Visit to the Republic of Rwanda. The invitation was gladly accepted and the dates will be agreed upon through diplomatic channels.
Done on March 25, 2018, in Entebbe.
FOR THE GOVERNMENT
OF THE REPUBLIC
HON. SAM K. KUTESA
Minister of Foreign Affairs
FOR THE GOVERNMENT
HON. LOUISE MUSHIKIWABO
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Cooperation and East African Community - RWANDA