By Fred Kiva
The Ministry of Health has ruled out Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) outbreak in Nakaseke district. State Minister of Health in charge of General Duties, Sarah Opendi said tests carried out have all been negative of the disease.
“All the cases that we have are negative. No one should declare the outbreak because that’s the work of the Ministry (Ministry of Health),” Opendi said. The Minister lashed out at some sections of the media for alarming the public by declaring the outbreak.
“It’s so unfortunate that the media is alarming the public,” the Minister noted in a telephone interview with Kampala Post.
Some Media outlets on Thursday reported that a Nine year old boy had been isolated at Kiwoko Hospital in Nakaseke District, with signs similar to those of the highly contagious Crimean-Congo Hemorrhagic Fever. Although Minister Opendi does not state what the boy could be suffering from, she called for calm among the masses saying the case is not Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever as reported.
The patient from Kasiiso in the neighbouring Luweero District was admitted at Kiwoko Hospital on December 22, last year following a referral from Bamugoledde Health Center III.
Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever is a viral disease. Symptoms may include fever, muscle pains, headache, vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding into the skin. Onset of the symptoms is less than two weeks following exposure. CCHF complications may include liver failure. Those who survive the disease, recovery generally occurs around two weeks after onset.
CCHF was first confirmed in Nakaseke in September last year, with eight people being reported dead.