Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Skip to main content
President Yoweri Museveni together with Sudan's Omar al-Bashir meet South Sudan arch-rivals, President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar at State House Entebbe. PPU Photo
President Yoweri Museveni together with Sudan's Omar al-Bashir meet South Sudan arch-rivals, President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar at State House Entebbe. PPU Photo

Museveni, Bashir Meet South Sudan Rivals at State House Entebbe

The meeting comes after South Sudan's government and rebels agreed  to withdraw troops from urban areas on Friday, as they signed a security deal aimed at ending a four-and-a-half year war according to a Sudanese official.
posted onJuly 7, 2018
nocomment

By Kampala Post Reporter

ENTEBBE. President Yoweri Museveni is meeting South Sudan arch-rivals, President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar for the discussions towards finalizing South Sudan Peace deal.

The closed door meeting which is also attended by Sudan President Omar al-Bashir is being chaired by President Museveni at State House Entebbe.

All leaders will hold a press conference immediately after their meeting.

The meeting comes after South Sudan's government and rebels agreed  to withdraw troops from urban areas on Friday, as they signed a security deal aimed at ending a four-and-a-half year war according to a Sudanese official.

"All parties have agreed to withdraw military troops from urban areas as part of the security agreement," Sudanese chief of military intelligence Jamal Omar said at the signing ceremony in Khartoum.

The agreement comes days after South Sudanese arch-rivals President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar agreed on a permanent ceasefire, raising hopes of an end to the conflict in the world's youngest country.

Friday's deal in the latest round of peace talks hosted by neighbouring Sudan was signed at Sudan's defence ministry and attended by Machar, South Sudanese officials and journalists.

Omar said a security committee would also be set up to monitor the implementation of the deal.

Two years after separating from Sudan in 2011, oil-rich South Sudan plunged into a war that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced four million, after Kiir accused his then-deputy Machar of plotting a coup.

After several previous peace efforts failed, regional East African leaders launched a new bid last month to end the war as the two warring factions face likely UN sanctions.

The rivals agreed a permanent ceasefire across South Sudan on June 27.

Kiir and Machar signed the ceasefire document — called the "Khartoum Declaration" — in the presence of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir.

Although the rebels accused the South Sudanese army of breaking the ceasefire just hours after it came into force, sources say it has largely been observed, with no reports of fighting or clashes over the past four days.

The conflict in South Sudan erupted in December 2013, dashing the optimism that had accompanied independence from Sudan.

The war, fuelled by the deep enmity between Kiir and Machar, spread to several states and was characterised by ethnic massacres, attacks on civilians, widespread rape, the recruitment of child soldiers and other human rights violations.

Join the conversation

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.