By Thomas Odongo
The Uganda Cranes Coach Sebastien Desabre on Monday named a 48-man squad ahead of their final AFCON qualifier match against Tanzania Taifa Stars on 24th March 2019 in Dar es Salaam.
The named domestic players will undergo a local residential camp at StarTimes Stadium Lugogo. Later, only nine local-based players will be selected to camp in Cairo, Egypt for the final camp together with other foreign-based players that will make the final team of 24.
15 foreign-based players are in the mix while 31 other stars playing in the StarTimes Uganda Premier League also form part of the team. The clubless duo of Hassan Wasswa Mawanda and Godfrey Walusimbi are also part of the contingent.
“We are setting the ball rolling as we want to finish on a high in the group with good results against Tanzania, I have summoned a new player on the team playing in Germany while some have been recalled to the squad. We are hopeful they will do a good job,” said Desabre after picking the team.
“I have been impressed with the quality of players in the domestic league. During the local camp I will choose nine players to complete the group for the match against Taifa Stars,” Desabre added.
“The local camp will also be an opportunity for me to have early preparations of players for 2020 CHAN Qualifiers against South Sudan in July and August,” the Frenchman who guided Uganda Cranes back to AFCON for the 2nd successive time said.
The 15 foreign-based players and 9 other stars from the local camp will join the camp in Cairo, Egypt from 18th-22nd March 2019.
Uganda has won all its last five matches and is the only side yet to concede a goal in the entire campaign.
The 15 foreign based players Summoned for camp in Cairo - Egypt:
- Denis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, South Africa)
- Jamal Salim (Al Hilah Omdruman, Sudan)
- Robert Odongkara ( Adama City FC, Ethiopia)
- Murushid Juuko (Simba, Tanzania)
- Denis Iguma (Kazma, Kuwait)
- Nicolas Wadada (Azam FC, Tanzania)
- Herbert Bockhorn (Borussia Dortmund, Germany),
- Moses Opondo (VendsysselFF, Denmark)
- Joseph Ochaya (TP Mazembe, DR Congo)
- Khalid Aucho (Church Hill Brothers, India)
- Faruku Miya (Gorica, Croatia)
- Edris Lubega (SV Reid, Austria)
- Emma Okwi (Simba-Tanzania)
- Karisa Milton (MC Oujda, Morocco)
- Muhammad Shaban (Raja Casablanca, Morocco)
The 31 local based players:
- Sebwato Nicholas (Onduparaka Fc)
- Saidi Keni (Sc Villa)
- James Alitho (URA FC)
- Charles Lukwago (KCCA FC)
- Obenchan Filbert (KCCA FC)
- Willa Paul (Police FC)
- Samson Mutyaba (Maroons FC)
- Kizza Mustafa (KCCA FC)
- Majwega Brian (Maroons FC)
- Godfrey Walusimbi (Unattached)
- Timothy Awanyi (KCCA FC),
- Mbowa Paul Baker (URA FC),
- Mujuzi Musitafa (Proline FC)
- Halid Lwaliwa (Vipers SC)
- Rashid Toha ( Onduparaka FC)
- Hassan Wasswa Mawanda (Unattached)
- Sadam Juma (KCCA FC)
- Eyam Ivan (Mbarara City FC)
- Taddeo Lwanga (Vipers SC)
- Okello Allan (KCCA FC)
- Waisswa Moses (Vipers SC)
- Bright Anukani (Proline FC)
- Owori David (Sc Villa)
- Allan Kyambadde (KCCA FC)
- Micheal Birungi (Express FC)
- Poloto Julius (KCCA C)
- Balinya Juma (Police FC)
- Serunkuma Daniel (Vipers SC)
- Kaddu Henry (KCCA FC)
- Madondo Joel (K-Jinja SS)
- Bashir Mutanda (Sc Villa).
- 11th -15th March 2019 training at Lugogo (Local based players)
- 13th March- FUFA Press Conference at 12.30pm- Uganda Cranes coach addresses media at Lugogo
- 16th March 2019- Regional Tour match: Uganda Cranes vs Kampala Regional Select team, 9 players will be selected from this local camp to join the 15 foreign-based players in Cairo.
- 17th March 2019-Uganda Cranes Squad flies to Cairo for residential camp
- 18th-22nd March 2019- (24 man Uganda Cranes Squad camp in Cairo, Egypt)
- 23rd March 2019- (24 man Uganda Cranes Squad flies to Tanzania)
- 24th March 2019 Tanzania vs Uganda (AFCON Qualifier in Dar es Salaam)