Skip to main content
The Ebola epidemic spread from neighbouring DRC. Courtesy photo

Ministry of Health Rules Out Ebola Outbreak in Mbarara District

“The Ministry of Health would like to clarify that there is no confirmed case of Ebola in Mbarara District. The Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) in Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital does not have any patient admitted at the moment,” the Ministry stated.
posted onJune 18, 2019
nocomment

By Fred Kiva

The Ministry of Health has ruled out the Ebola outbreak in Mbarara District.

In a statement issued on Tuesday the Ministry said, contrary to rumours circulating, there is no case of Ebola in Mbarara. “The Ministry of Health would like to clarify that there is no confirmed case of Ebola in Mbarara District. The Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU) in Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital does not have any patient admitted at the moment,” the Ministry stated.

Government also reiterated that Uganda has not registered any new confirmed Ebola case since the last one registered four days ago. “There are two new suspect cases who are under isolation at Bwere ETU (Ebola Treatment Unit). Blood samples were withdrawn from the suspect cases and sent to the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) for testing and results are pending,” the Ministry said, adding that ring vaccination of contacts of the confirmed Ebola cases, as well as non-vaccinated frontline health and other workers started on Saturday June 15.

“As of Monday 17th June, a total of 128 contacts and non-vaccinated frontline health and other workers had been vaccinated,” the Ministry said. Ministry of Health confirmed the 6th Ebola Virus Disease outbreak on June 11 in Kasese district. The three cases that have all died include; a five year old boy and his younger brother, a three year old plus their 50-year old grandmother. The three family members had history of travel to the Ebola ravaged DR Congo, where they are believed to have contracted the disease.

Meanwhile on top of vaccination of those in contact with the disease, active case search and death surveillance continues in health facilities and communities. Several other interventions are being made, with development partners pledging  support towards containing the deadly disease.

World Health Organization (WHO) Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom who is in Uganda for the Ebola assessment tour has met President Museveni and Ministry of Health officials, giving them assurance of the Organization's support to help contain the Ebola.

About Author

Kp Reporter - Chief editor

Join the conversation

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.