By David K. Mafabi
I have been quiet for a few weeks on these pages - busy with a number of “house-keeping” tasks, including preparing literature and other materials for the Yoweri K. Museveni Study Groups whose launch we unveiled late last year.
I have also been busy in discussion with several Comrades - on how far the COVID-19 pandemic has changed or has not changed - our reality.
Our tentative but emphatic conclusion is that the emerging global “new normal” has not changed the essence or substance of the fundamental structural challenges the African people must deal with over the next 3 or 4 decades.
More about this, in the weeks ahead … Finally, we met last month in Jinja with a number of the Comrades - from the Executive, from the Legislature, academics organic to the Revolution, other Patriots - in ideological fellowship about our country and Africa.
The Retreat Sessions were chaired by my colleague Stephen Othieno, while I was privileged to be one of the facilitators as well as Retreat Rapporteur.
EXPANDED B12 RETREAT
13TH TO 16TH FEBRUARY 2021 (RESOLUTIONS)
WHEREAS WE, MEMBERS of the Bawejjere 2012 Study Group (hereinafter referred to as B12) have convened in Expanded Retreat in Jinja from the 13th to 16th February 2021;
WHEREAS we have had in-depth discussions and reflected deeply on the recently concluded 2021 General Elections;
WHEREAS we at the same time delved into related sub-themes including but not limited to: Ideology; National Mobilization; Party Organization; Party Primaries; National Economy Management and Manifesto Implementation; Science and Technology; New Digital Frontlines; Accelerated Political and Economic Integration of Africa;
DEEPLY MINDFUL of our fundamental responsibilities to the Ugandan and African people;
GUIDED by the postulation and characterization by Comrade President Yoweri K. Museveni of the immediate central national task as “SECURING OUR FUTURE”;
NOW, THEREFORE, DESIROUS of continuing our contribution to the fundamental advancement of the Ugandan and African people;
HEREBY RESOLVE AS FOLLOWS:
1. To warmly and heartily congratulate Comrade President Yoweri K. Museveni, the membership of the Movement, and all the people of Uganda - on the resounding, decisive and emphatic victory in the 2021 General Elections;
2. To urge the Movement leadership to urgently undertake strategic rectification measures in the Movement - aimed at striking a new balance between its mass character on the one hand, and the need to strengthen ideological, political and organizational discipline on the other - as the basis for victory in the continuing struggles for national transformation and take-off;
3. To urge the Movement leadership to cause a new in-depth study of our experience to date with Primary Elections. This should include a comparative study of the experience of other national liberation movements with the development of party lists;
4. To urge the Movement leadership to cause, immediately after the conduct of internal party elections, the thorough completion of outstanding work on the Movement Membership Register - before June 2022;
5. To urge the Movement leadership to cause an immediate comprehensive and scientific study of the voting patterns in the 2021 General Elections - for purposes of evolving necessary and appropriate adjustments in the management of future electoral campaigns;
6. To urge the Movement leadership to strengthen vital policy leadership and cohesion in the management of the critical sectors of the national economy and all aspects of Government - aimed at enhancing the all-round capabilities for national transformation and take-off;
7. To urge the national leadership to invest massively in the optimal development of Science and Technology, with a related comprehensive reform of the education system in favour of its vocationalization from early primary school and investment in the building of polytechnics;
8. To urge the national leadership to cause a comprehensive national awareness campaign about the demands and ramifications of the next Industrial Revolution, and the new virtual frontlines imposed by the Digital Revolution;
9. B12 shall leave no stone unturned, in discharging the solemn injunction of Comrade President Yoweri K. Museveni to “Secure Our Future” - by mobilizing for the accelerated Political and Economic Integration of East Africa.
10. B12 shall contribute maximally in the mobilization of wananchi to resist and defeat all machinations against the transformation of the homeland, originating from the enemies of the African people.
11. B12 shall strengthen and re-double its programs and activities towards promoting national ideological clarity, and enhancing mobilization for national transformation.”
Happy Women’s Day!
The writer is a senior presidential advisor/Special Duties