President Museveni has postponed this year’s Martyrs’ Day celebrations over fears linked to the Ebola outbreak in Eastern Congo.
In a statement issued on May 17, 2026, Museveni said the decision followed consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders.
Uganda hosts thousands of pilgrims from Eastern Congo every year during the Martyrs’ Day pilgrimage at Namugongo. Museveni said the Ebola outbreak in the neighbouring country forced government to suspend the event to protect lives.
“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day to a later date, which will be communicated,” Museveni said.
He added: “This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak.”
The president said government will announce a new date later.
Museveni urged pilgrims who had already started travelling to return home and continue following Ebola prevention measures.
“I encourage those who had begun their journey to return home, continue observing the precautionary measures, report anyone who is sick, and encourage those who are ill to seek medical care,” he said.
He said protecting lives must remain the priority despite the inconvenience caused by the postponement.
“We regret any inconvenience caused, but the protection of life must come first,” Museveni said.
HealthUPDF Soldiers Donate Blood for Karamoja to Avert Regional Health Crisis
The UPDF 3 Infantry Division has held a blood donation drive to replenish the Moroto Blood Bank. The exercise aims to support maternity, pediatric, and accident wards across the nine districts of the Karamoja sub-region.




