Ugandans Warned as Rwanda Justifies Border Killings

Kp Reporter·Regional·

Share
Ugandans Warned as Rwanda Justifies Border Killings

By Fred Kiva Ugandans at the common border with Rwanda are being warned against engaging in activities that endanger their lives, as Rwanda Police justify...

By Fred Kiva

Ugandans at the common border with Rwanda are being warned against engaging in activities that endanger their lives, as Rwanda Police justify latest killings.

Two Ugandans; Ayub Byarushaga, 37years a resident of Nyakabungo Cell in Rukiga district and 30 year old Johnbosco Tuhirwe a resident of the same area were shot dead on Saturday at around 8pm by Rwanda police men on patrol at Tabagwe in Nyagatare district.

The duo is alleged to have been smuggling tobacco into Rwanda. In a statement, Rwanda police has justified the shooting, claiming it was in self-defense after the two reportedly turned violent.

“The smugglers became violent and assaulted police officers who reacted in self- defense shooting dead two, while the rest escaped,” said Rwanda Police Spokesperson CP JB Kabera.

Uganda government hasn’t officially spoken out on yet another act of high-handedness by Rwandan security forces. However, Kigezi Region Police Spokesperson Elly Mate has asked residents at the common border with Rwanda to refrain from activities that risk their lives.

“I want to caution our people along the borders to stop doing things that put their lives at stake, risking their lives by going through porous exits into neighbouring countries, where Ugandan security forces can’t give them protection,” Mate said as he referred this reporter to the national police spokesperson and line ministries for more.

The incident is the latest of the several shootings by Rwandan security forces deployed at border points. Last week a Rwandan national, Peter Avugimana, 29 was shot and injured at the Rwanda side of the border as he returned from Uganda with food. The shootings continue amid talks aimed at settling the border tension between Uganda and Rwanda.

The tension was sparked by Rwanda’s closure of its border at Katuna in March this year, accusing Uganda of harassing its citizens in Uganda and supporting subversive activities in Rwanda. Uganda has since vehemently denied the accusations.

Advertisement
Share
Advertisement

Related Articles

More stories you may want to read next.

Advertisement
Advertisement